Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The old homeless and the new in historical perspective.Am Psychol. 1990; 45: 954-959
U.S. House of Representatives. Urgent Relief for the Homeless Act. Hearings before the Subcommittee on Housing and Community Development on the Committee on Banking, Finance and Urban Affairs. Washington, DC: 1987. Serial No. 100–3.
US Title Code 42 (the public heath and welfare), Chapter 19 (homeless assistance), Subchapter I (general provisions), Section 11302 (general definition of homelessness) [42USC11302].
- A review of the empirical literature on contemporary urban homelessness.Soc Serv Rev. 1995; 69: 449-460
Grinker W. Testimony in U.S. House of Representatives hearings, op. cit., 306–10.
- Rachel and her children: homeless families in America.Three Rivers Press, New York1988
- The housing part of the homeless problem.in: Bassuk E.L. The mental health needs of homeless persons. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco (CA)1986: 71-86
- Homeless families and children.Future Child. 1996; 6: 146-157
- Factors associated with doubled-up housing: a common precursor to homelessness.Soc Serv Rev. 1998; 72: 92-111
- Tracing the path out of homelessness: the housing patterns of families after exiting shelter.J Commun Psychol. 1999; 27: 199-208
U.S. Conference of Mayors. Hunger and homelessness survey. US Conference of Mayors & SODEXHO Inc; 2005. Available at: http://www.mayors.org/uscm/hungersurvey/2005/HH2005FINAL.pdf. Accessed November 17, 2006.
- Health of homeless children and housed, poor children.Pediatrics. 1990; 86: 858-866
- Housing conditions of low-income families in the private, unassisted housing market in the United States.Housing Studies. 1997; 12: 201-213
U.S. Census Bureau. Housing costs as percent of current income. Available at: http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/ahs/99dtchrt/tab2–12.html. Accessed November 21, 2006.
- Characteristics of sheltered homeless families.Am J Public Health. 1986; 76: 1097-1101
- Psychosocial characteristics of homeless children and children with homes.Pediatrics. 1990; 85: 257-261
- A snapshot of family homelessness across America.Polit Sci Q. 1999; 114: 298-307
- Homeless children in the United States: mark of a nation at risk.Curr Direct Psychol Sci. 1992; 1: 41-44
- Understanding family homelessness in New York City: an in-depth study of families experience before and after shelter.Vera Institute of Justice, New York2005 (Available at:). Accessed November 21, 2006)
- Annual New York City Hunger Survey.New York City Coalition Against Hunger, New York2006 (Available at:). Accessed November 21, 2006)
- Health problems of homeless children in New York City.Am J Public Health. 1988; 78: 1232-1233
- Children in sheltered homeless families: reported health status and use of health services.Pediatrics. 1988; 81: 668-673
- A survey of the health of homeless children in Philadelphia shelters.Am J Dis Childhood. 1991; 145: 520-526
- Determinants of health and service use patterns in homeless and low-income housed children.Pediatrics. 1998; 102: 558-562
- Growth delay in homeless children.Pediatrics. 1991; 88: 918-925
- Improving the nutrition status of homeless children: guidelines for homeless family shelters.The Children's Health Fund, New York2001 (Available at:). Accessed November 21, 2006)
- Assessment of dietary intake of preschool children living in a homeless shelter.Appl Nurs Res. 2001; 14: 146-154
- The legal rights and educational problems of homeless children and youth.Educ Eval Policy Anal. 1995; 17: 39-61
- Homeless children: a neglected population.Am J Orthopsychiatry. 1987; 57: 279-286
- The mental health of homeless school-age children.J Child Adolesc Psychiatr Nurs. 1998; 11: 87-98
- Emotional and behavioral problems and severe academic delays among sheltered homeless children in Los Angeles County.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 260-264
- Sheltered homeless children: their eligibility and unmet need for special education evaluations.Am J Public Health. 1997; 87: 236-240
- The special needs of homeless children: early intervention at a welfare hotel.Topics in Early Childhood Special Education. 1991; 10: 76-91
- Psychopathology and developmental delay in homeless children: a pilot study.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1990; 29: 732-735
- Homelessness and cognitive performance in children: a possible link.Soc Work. 1990; 35: 516-519
- No place to call home.in: McWilliam P.J. Bailey Jr., D.B. Working together with children & families: case studies in early intervention. Paul H. Brookes, Inc, Baltimore (MD)1993: 109-120
- Asthma among homeless children: undercounting and undertreating the underserved.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004; 158: 244-249
- Asthma among the homeless: an update.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 448-450
- Elevated asthma and indoor environmental exposures among Puerto Rican children in East Harlem.J Asthma. 2003; 40: 557-569
- Comparison of health status of children using a school-based health center for comprehensive care.J Pediatr Health Care. 2001; 15: 244-250
New York City Department of Homeless Services. Homeless Family Shelter Census, December 2004. Email distribution.
Sherman P, Grant R, Kory P, et al. Health status of homeless children over the past decade. Pediatr Acad Soc Annual Meeting, 2002. Balimore, MD, May 4–7, 2002. Abstract no. 1124.
Centers for Disease Control. Recommendations to prevent and control iron deficiency in the United States. MMWR 4/3/98: 47 RR03;1–6. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/00051880.htm. Accessed November 22, 2006.
- Improving the immunization and health status of children in the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2004; 15: 127-140
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Telephone communication. April, 2006.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy people 2010: leading health indicators. Available at: http://www.healthypeople.gov/Document/HTML/uih/uih_4.htm. Accessed November 22, 2006.
- Controversies in screening for middle ear disease and hearing loss in children.Pediatrics. 1986; 77: 57-70
- Otitis media.Lancet. 2004; 363: 465-473
- Increasing prevalence of recurrent otitis media among children in the United States.Pediatrics. 1997; 33 (e1–e7)
- Trends in otitis media among children in the United States.Pediatrics. 2003; 112: 514-520
- Prenatal and postnatal environmental tobacco smoke exposure and children's health.Pediatrics. 2004; 113: 1007-1015
- Natural history of untreated otitis media.Laryngoscope. 2003; 113: 1645-1657
- Defining asthma in the preschool-aged child.Pediatrics. 2002; 109: 357-361
Centers for Disease Control. Powerpoint presentation: asthma prevalence data. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/search.do?action=search&;queryText=asthma+pediatric++prevalence&x=0&y=0. Accessed November 21, 2006.
- Addressing the childhood asthma crisis in Harlem: the Harlem Children's Zone asthma initiative.Am J Public Health. 2005; 95: 245-249
Centers for Disease Control. Iron deficiency—United States, 1999–2000. MMRW 10/11/02: 51(40); 897-899. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5140a1.htm. Accessed November 21, 2006.
- Prevalence of iron deficiency in the United States.JAMA. 1997; 277: 973-976
- Iron deficiency, prolonged bottle feeding, and racial/ethnic disparities in young children.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005; 159: 1038-1042
- Continuation of the decline in prevalence of anemia in low-income infants and children in five states.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: 677-682
- Iron depletion is associated with daytime bottle-feeding in the second and third years of life.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 1114-1120
- Child food insecurity and iron-deficiency anemia in low-income infants and toddlers in the United States.Matern Child Health J. 2006; 13 ([E published ahead of print (11/21/06)])
- Food insecurity is associated with adverse health outcomes among human infants and toddlers.J Nutr. 2003; 134: 1432-1438
- Double burden of iron deficiency in infancy and low socioeconomic status: a longitudinal analysis of cognitive test scores to age 19 years.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 1108-1113
- Iron-deficiency anemia: reexamining the nature and magnitude of the public health problem.J Nutr. 2001; 131: 649S-668S
Office of the Surgeon General. The surgeon general's call to action to prevent and decrease overweight and obesity, 2001: prevalence of overweight among children and adolescents. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/pubd/hestats/obese03_04/overwghtchild03.htm. Accessed November 21, 2006.
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1549-1555
- Childhood obesity in New York City elementary school students.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 1496-1500
- Overweight children and adolescents: a risk group for iron deficiency.Pediatrics. 2004; 114: 104-108
- The association of child and household food insecurity with childhood overweight status.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: E1406-E1413
- Otitis media and early development in a high-risk pediatric population.in: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Children, Youth and Families, Head Start Bureau. Promoting positive development in young children: designing strategies that work. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2004: 567-568
- Behavior problems of preschool children from low-income families: review of the literature.Topics in Early Childhood Special Education. 2003; 23: 188-216
- Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distribution of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 61: 593-602
United States Surgeon General. Mental health: a report of the Surgeon General. Office of the US Surgeon General; 1999. Available at: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/mentalhealth/home. html accessed 11/21/06. Accessed November 21, 2006.
- Access to children's mental health services under Medicaid and SCHIP.The Urban Institute, Washington, DC2004 (Available at:). Accessed November 27, 2006)
- Mental health services use among school-aged children with disabilities: the role of sociodemographics, functional limitations, family burdens, and care coordination.Health Serv Res. 2003; 38: 1441-1466
- A comparison of federal definitions of severe mental illness among children and adolescents in four communities.Psychiatr Serv. 1998; 49: 1601-1608
- The developmental status and adaptive behavior of homeless and low-income infants and toddlers.Am J Public Health. 1998; 88: 1371-1374