- •Educational resources that incorporate the most recent evidence on pediatric telemedicine care are needed to promote consistency across providers, increase provider confidence, and improve quality of care.
- •Patient-generated data, including remote patient monitoring, could improve the quality of virtual visits, but issues with measurement quality and parent self-efficacy must be addressed.
- •Rigorous studies examining specific practices within telemedicine delivery and use are needed to develop evidence-based guidelines around virtual care for pediatric conditions.
- •A focus on equity is essential for ensuring that telemedicine interventions do not widen health disparities.
Models of care within pediatric telemedicine
- •“Provider-to-provider” telemedicine services allow communication between 2 providers (with or without the patient) and typically involve consultations in real time over video with pediatric subspecialists to primary care providers practicing in communities where specialists may not be available [,]. Before the pandemic, these types of consultations had been used for many pediatric subspecialists including cardiology, ophthalmology, nephrology, dermatology, neurology, endocrinology, and emergency medicine [].
- •Provider-to-patient telemedicine services or virtual visits allow for direct encounters over real-time video from the providers to the patient or family, often in the convenience of their homes. This model of care has seen the greatest increase in use since the beginning of the pandemic [
- •School-based telemedicine services allow children to receive care through telemedicine at their local school while in the presence of a school nurse or other school personnel. School-based telemedicine services have been used widely for asthma care [] and mental health care [] and have recently been tested for pediatric physiatry [] and treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder [].
- •Remote patient monitoring, remote physiologic monitoring, or more simply, telemonitoring involves the monitoring of patient-generated data. These programs have been used in pediatrics primarily for management of type 1 diabetes [,] and asthma [,] and monitoring of congenital heart disease and cardiovascular implantable devices [].
Education and training
- •Patient safety and appropriate use of telehealth
- •Access and equity in telehealth
- •Communication via telehealth
- •Data collection and assessment via telehealth
- •Technology for telehealth
- •Ethical practices and legal requirements for telehealth
Developing and adapting clinical workflows
Assessment and treatment
Improving engagement with pediatric patients
Improving and measuring access to care
Monthly telehealth regional tracker.
Addressing health equity
Expanding the evidence base for pediatric telemedicine
- Medicare beneficiary use of telehealth visits: early data from the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.Office of the assistant secretary for planning and evaluation, US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2020
- Rapid rise of pediatric telehealth during COVID-19 in a large multispecialty health system.Telemed J E Health. 2022; 28: 3-10
- Pediatric Telehealth in the COVID-19 Pandemic Era and Beyond.Pediatrics. 2021; 148 (e2020047795)
- Telemedicine in the time of COVID and beyond.J Adolesc Health. 2020; 67: 145
- The current pediatric telehealth landscape.Pediatrics. 2018; 141: e20172334
- Availability of definitive hospital care for children.JAMA Pediatr. 2017; 171: e171096
- Trends in regionalization of hospital care for common pediatric conditions.Pediatrics. 2018; 141: e20171940
- Pediatric telehealth: Approaches by specialty and implications for general pediatric care.Adv Pediatr. 2019; 66: 55-85
- School-based telemedicine interventions for asthma: a systematic review.Acad Pediatr. 2020; 20: 893-901
- The use of telehealth in school-based health centers.Glob Pediatr Health. 2019; 6 (2333794X19884194)
- Parent Experience and Cost Savings Associated with a Novel Tele-physiatry Program for Children Living in Rural and Underserved Communities.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021; 103: 8-13
- A Quality Improvement Initiative to Improve ADHD Follow-up rates Using School-based Telemedicine.Acad Pediatr. 2021; 21: 1253-1261
- Remote patient monitoring and telemedicine in neonatal and pediatric settings: Scoping literature review.J Med Internet Res. 2018; 20: e295
- Telehealth in type 1 diabetes.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2021; 28: 21-29
MacGeorge, C.A., Andrews, A.L., King, K.L. (2021). Telehealth for Pediatric Asthma. In: Ford, D.W., Valenta, S.R. (eds) Telemedicine. Respiratory Medicine. Humana, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-64050-7_8.
- Paediatric and adolescent asthma: a narrative review of telemedicine and emerging technologies for the post-COVID-19 era.Clin Exp Allergy. 2021; 51: 393-401
- Design and implementation of an interactive, competency-based pilot pediatric telemedicine curriculum.Med Education Online. 2021; 26: 1911019
- Accelerated launch of video visits in ambulatory neurology during COVID-19: Key lessons from the Stanford experience.Neurology. 2020; 95: 305-311
- Telemedicine: patient-provider clinical engagement during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.J Gastrointest Surg. 2020; 24: 1692-1697
- Telemedicine in pediatric training: a national needs assessment of the current state of telemedicine education in pediatric training.Acad Pediatr. 2021;
- Telehealth competencies.(Available at:)Accessed November 24, 2021)
- Developing a pediatric ophthalmology telemedicine program in the COVID-19 crisis.J Am Assoc Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2020; 24: 204-208 e202
- Telemedicine use for pediatric asthma care: a mixed methods study.J Asthma. 2022;
- Factors associated with discontinuation of subspecialty diabetes care during the COVID-19 pandemic: a multi-site retrospective cohort study.Diabetes Care. 2022; 45: e34-e36
Sinsky CA, Jerzak JT, Hopkins KD. Telemedicine and Team-Based Care: The Perils and the Promise. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 96:2 (2021): 429-437.
- A defining moment for pediatric primary care telehealth.JAMA Pediatr. 2021; 175: 9-10
- A shared decision-making approach to telemedicine: engaging rural patients in glycemic management.J Clin Med. 2016; 5: 103
- Opportunity for pharmacists in telehealth, team-based care: clinical inertia.Telemed J E-Health. 2020; 26: 1199-1201
- Telemedicine in the era of COVID-19: the virtual orthopaedic examination.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020;
- The telemedicine-based pediatric examination of the back and lower limbs: a narrative review.J Pain Res. 2021; 14: 2959
- Pediatric otolaryngology telehealth in response to COVID-19 pandemic: lessons learned and impact on the future management of pediatric patients.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2021; 130: 788-795
- Antibiotic prescribing for acute respiratory tract infections during telemedicine visits within a pediatric primary care network.Acad Pediatr. 2021; 21: 1239-1243
- Antibiotic prescribing during pediatric direct-to-consumer telemedicine visits.Pediatrics. 2019; 143: e2018249
- Pediatric behavioral telehealth in the age of COVID-19: Brief evidence review and practice considerations.Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care. 2021; 51: 100949
- Emerging telemedicine tools for remote COVID-19 diagnosis, monitoring, and management.ACS Nano. 2020; 14: 16180-16193
- COVID-19: technology-supported remote assessment of pediatric asthma at home.Front Pediatr. 2020; 8: 529
- Pulmonary function testing in asthmatic children. Tests to assess outpatients during the Covid-19 pandemic.Front Pediatr. 2020; 8: 571112
- Top 10 tips for successfully implementing a diabetes telehealth program.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2020; 22: 920-928
- Patient Perspectives on Use of Video Telemedicine for Type 1 Diabetes Care in the United States during the COVID-19 Pandemic.Endocrines. 2021; 2: 449-456
- Telehealth Home Monitoring and Postcardiac Surgery for Congenital Heart Disease.Pediatrics. 2020; 146
- Family-centered care during the COVID-19 era.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2020; 60: e93-e97
- Family-centered care and the pediatrician's role.Pediatrics. 2003; 112: 691
- Home videoconferencing for patients with severe congenital heart disease following discharge.Congenit Heart Dis. 2008; 3: 317-324
- Telemedicine for children with medical complexity: a randomized clinical trial.Pediatrics. 2021; 148 (e2021050400)
- An examination of quality of life of children and parents during their Tele-Homecare experience.Telemed J E-Health. 2006; 12: 663-671
- Taking the call-bell home: a qualitative evaluation of Tele-HomeCare for children.Health Soc Care Community. 2006; 14: 231-241
- The case for home based telehealth in pediatric palliative care: a systematic review.BMC Palliat Care. 2013; 12: 1-13
- Virtual family-centered rounds in the neonatal intensive care unit: a randomized controlled pilot trial.Acad Pediat. 2021; 21: 1244-1252
- In-hospital telehealth supports care for neonatal patients in strict isolation.Am J Perinatol. 2020; 37: 857-860
- Remote parent participation in intensive care unit rounds.Pediatr Clin. 2020; 67: 655-659
- Gender-diverse youth's experiences and satisfaction with telemedicine for gender-affirming care during the COVID-19 pandemic.Transgender Health. 2021;
- The COVID-19 pandemic and rapid implementation of adolescent and young adult telemedicine: challenges and opportunities for innovation.J Adolesc Health. 2020; 67: 164-171
- Patient satisfaction with physician–patient communication during telemedicine.Telemed J E-Health. 2009; 15: 830-839
- Patient and clinician experiences with telehealth for patient follow-up care.Am J Manag Care. 2019; 25: 40-44
- Monthly telehealth regional tracker.(Available at:)Accessed November 24, 2021)
- Patient characteristics associated with telemedicine access for primary and specialty ambulatory care during the COVID-19 pandemic.JAMA Netw open. 2020; 3: e2031640
- Addressing equity in telemedicine for chronic disease management during the Covid-19 pandemic.NEJM Catalyst Innov Care Deliv. 2020; 1
- The digital divide: how Covid-19's telemedicine expansion could exacerbate disparities.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 83: e345-e346
- Implementation science should give higher priority to health equity.Implementation Sci. 2021; 16: 28